At the end of the 14th century, under the lords of Landštejn, the castle was the seat of an important religious institution: the Lipnice Collegiate Chapter. In 1417 the Highest Burgrave of Prague, Čeněk of Wartenberg had the castle chapel consecrated by the first Hussite priest in the Czech lands. In the 16th century it was rebuilt into a representative late Gothic residence under Trčka of Lipa family. Over 1921-1922, the world famous writer Jaroslav Hasek stayed often at the castle (and his descendents still run the village pub). He wrote The Good Soldier Svejk here, and sometimes also conducted tours for visitors.